Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Royse City ISD Elementary Presentation

Yesterday, TBRC Chairman Alton Higgins and I had the opportunity to visit with a group of 4th grade Gifted and Talented students at Davis Elementary School in Royse City, Texas.



We were invited by teacher Kristi Fout to make a presentation to her students on the possibility of the sasquatch being a real animal and making a home here in Texas. The students are currently studying enigmas and Mrs. Fout has incorporated the bigfoot phenomenon into her curriculum. The enigmas unit was described as follows:

Students will investigate a naturally occurring enigma, an unsolved
Mystery. Each student will have an opportunity to explore in depth
An enigma and hypothesize possible solutions. In their explorations,
Students will use scientific research processes.




This is the sort of thing I really enjoy doing. I think it is important, a responsibility even, that we take every opportunity to present the topic of bigfoot to the public in a serious and scientific manner. It is important for the public to realize that there are serious minded individuals out there who are taking a scientific approach in an attempt to document this animal.





The students of Davis Elementary were great and asked some very good questions. They were engaged and actively participated during the presentation. Alton and I really had a great time with them. I would like to thank Mrs. Fout for inviting us to speak. It was a pleasure and a privilege.

*Photos taken and published with the permission of the Royse City ISD

2 comments:

  1. I wanted to thank you again for coming out to our school and giving us a very educational presentation. The kids and I were very impressed. I have a question about a new show called "Is It Real?". There was an episode that supposedly debunked the Patterson-Gimlin video. Have you seen that and if so, what are your thoughts on it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mrs. Fout,

    It was my pleasure. I know Alton enjoyed it as well. I appreciate your having us. Hopefully, we can visit again next year.

    In the meantime, I'll address your question about the "Is it Real?" program. This was aired on the National Geographic channel and was really disappointing. Not because they came to the conclusion that the PG film was likely a hoax but because they used faulty logic and didn't do their homework. I could harp on many points but the most obvious is that the suit they produced, for what had to be a large sum of money, didn't look anything like the subject of the PG film. It looked terrible and totally unconvincing yet was touted as "proof" the PG film could have been hoaxed.

    There have been several much better programs produced that I would recommend over the "Is it Real?" program. "Sasquatch: Legend Meets Science" was produced by the Discovery Channel and is quite good. "Giganto: The Real King Kong" was produced by the History Channel and is also very good, though it doesn't deal that much with the PG film.

    I hope that helps. Please feel free to contact me anytime you, or one of the kids, have a question.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete